Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Zone 5, Iowa - Borealis haskap rebounds after hot dry summer of 2012

Borealis survivor

Here is a picture of one of my 3 happy Borealis plants. It was quite miserable-looking after the drought last year, (see below) but it seems to have shrugged that stress off just fine. The Honey Bee was shipped late last year after it had broken dormancy. The shipping stress and the drought both likely contributed to its demise. Fred, IA (May 7, 2013)

Sept. 14, 2012: My 4 happy honeyberries have taken a turn for the worse. I believe they have leaf scorch caused by extended drought here in the Midwest (I am in Iowa City). Despite watering every 7-10 days, I think the months of zero rain and 90-100 degree weather was too much for them.

Please see the attached pictures. The leaves are dropping, but small new green leaves are emerging from branch tips. I do not know if they will survive. (to find out if they survived or not, see April 25, 2014 entry)


Leaf scorched haskap

Haskap leaf scorch front of leaf

Haskap leaf scorch back of leaf

2 comments:

  1. I'm in Dubuque and planted 3 tundra and 2 pollinators. they had an rough summer, but are back in excellent health this year and several berries for only 1 year following transplant and a terrible trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey....I live in Dubuque as well. I planted 8 varieties of honeyberry...some back in 2011. Almost had my first crop this past Spring only to discover birds will eat Honeyberries while they are still green. Would love to compare notes. Ken Bichell kbichell@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete